My nose is pretty sensitive when it comes to all kinds of smells. Because of that, I like to have my house smelling fresh and everything smelling nice around me. But then again, who doesn’t, right?
Over years I have researched and tried out many ways to keep my house smelling fresh and nice, and now I have listed a few of my favorite ways!
1. Open windows as often as possible!
There is nothing better than just fresh air. That’s why it’s obviously my number one way to keep my house smelling fresh. While I am a person that is always cold and living in the UK is not always the warmest weather to keep windows open,(especially if you are trying to save money on your gas bills) I still try to let in fresh air every day. On an everyday basis I have 3 rules in my house:
- Always open bedroom window when after waking up, because the air gets stuffy there during the night. That way you will also freshen your sheets and let your mattress breathe. I also like to fold the duvet off a bit, to really let that air come in your sheets.
- Always open bathroom window after shower or bath. It makes it dry quicker and keeps off of getting mold.
- Open the kitchen window when cooking. This one is kind of obvious, but yet a lot of people don’t do it. Not opening windows while cooking keeps humidity in the house and it can give a big damage with time, plus it never smells good when the house is humid.
I also try to open all the windows while cleaning house at least once a week. Try this and you will feel the difference.
2. Essential oils
Of course, this is one of the best ways to make your house smelling fresh. You can use it in so many ways, but these are my favorite:
- Diffuser or candle burner. I put some water in the top part and add a few drops of essential oils. The list of different essential oils are endless, but my favorites are vanilla, lavender, and eucalyptus(for times, when someone has a cold)
- I like to add a few drops to my spray mop. When I wash all the floors my house smelling fresh and nice, and it lasts a good few days. Note that I only mop the floor with hot water, and do not add anything else.
- Add a few drops to cotton balls and place them under pillow cover. Use lavender for a good nights sleep!
3. Scented candles and wax melts
I love candles, and if they bring a nice smell, even better. It is more of a winter thing though. I tend to burn candles a lot less during summer months and more when it’s darker. The good thing is, you can place them everywhere and they also serve as a good decorative element. Also, you don’t always need to burn them, if you have a good quality one, it will smell nice without burning it.
My favorite scents are – coffee, coconut, tobacco and sometimes they have something like cupcake scent, which makes all house smell like a bakery, yumm. Also cinnamon for the Christmas time.
4. Plug in air freshener
Ok. So this is something if you don’t want to give any extra effort to make your house smell nice. It’s easy to use, and there is a big range or fragrances to choose from. All you need to do it plug it in and it will release a fragrance. While I have a couple of them in the house, I don’t tend to use them often, because they can be quite strong and it kind of feels unnatural at times. But for better results, I use them when the windows are open or in well-ventilated rooms.
So these are my favorite ways to keep house smelling fresh and nice! Obviously, you should also keep the house clean and take the bin out often!
Tell me about your favorite ways to keep the air fresh and nice, I’m always looking for new ways and ideas!